April 29, 2020
Hello from LEON.
It’s always been our goal to help people eat well and live well. That’s as true now as it’s ever been.
Like most of the world, we are learning to adapt fast. The health of our team and our customers will always be our top priority. We have made the following changes to our restaurants to manage this:
- Just launched our own Click & Collect app to allow for contactless pickup
- We are offering pickup & delivery only
- No more than 10 people in the restaurant at a time, with social distancing floor markers for our customers and team safety
- Card only, we are no longer taking cash
- Removed all self-serve items like drinks, cutlery, etc. from the dining room to reduce number of touch points
- Created a dedicated delivery collection area
- Team daily health checks, and face masks at all times
- Increased frequency of ‘20 second’ handwashing – singing Happy Birthday is now driving us crazy!
1724 L Street will be open Monday to Friday from 7am-6pm (pickup and delivery) and 6pm-9pm (delivery only). 655 New York Avenue and 1350 Eye Street are temporarily closed, and we will keep you posted on updates.
We have had to make an incredibly tough decision, saying goodbye to a lot of our hardworking, caring team. We are determined to make this as temporary as possible. In the meantime, we are staying in touch and helping as much as we can:
- We will offer to rehire as many Team Members as we can, when restaurants reopen.
- We have invited the teams, and their families to eat for free whenever they wish during this time.
- Team Members have been compensated for accrued sick time, along with a little ‘support’ payment.
So, while we remain partially active, here’s what are doing to help those in our neighbourhood:
- We increased our 15% hospital and medical care-worker to 50%. We want to help those who are helping others right now.
- Because of school closures, we will be giving free meals to all children at 1724 L ST. No catch, no purchase necessary, we just want to help children receive good food.
- Free delivery on all orders, plus new items available such as meal combos, LEON @ Home (meals for three to four people which you can keep in the refrigerator for dinner on another evening), and even toilet paper.
- Due to the nature of our fresh and preservative-free food, we had a surplus. To prevent waste, we’ve donated to local food banks via Food Rescue and Martha’s Table. We’ve given away over 2000 meals so far.
We will be updating you on everything as time goes on via our social media as well as offering advice, recipes and things to do to do during this challenging time.
And finally, if you have any additional measures you think we could take to help you or others, please let us know. We’re in this together.
Lots of LEON love,
Glenn (& the LEON US family)