Spelt Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Serves: 12 Preparation: 50 minutes + 3 1/2 hours rising time Cooking: 15 minutes
- Dairy free
- Low glycemic load
Wholesome and delicious. These buns are a little less sweet than most hot cross buns but just as festive. Toast them and slather with butter – or coconut oil if you don’t do dairy. You can make the dough the day before, pop them into the fridge overnight, and bake them fresh in the morning on Easter Day.
|For the buns|
|2x 7g||Sachets of dried quick yeast|
|200ml||Rice milk, warmed slightly, plus extra to brush the tops|
|250g||Strong Wholemeal Spelt Flour|
|1/2 tsp||Ground Allspice|
|1/2 tsp||Freshly grated nutmeg|
|1 tsp||Ground Cinnamon|
|For the crosses|
|70g||Strong spelt flour|
|For the bun wash|
- Preheat the oven to 220c and line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm rice milk with the agave nectar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt, spices, currants and sultanas and orange zest.
- Add the egg or egg substitute and coconut oil to the milk mixture, then pour all of this over the dry ingredients. Stir the dough to combine and then allow it to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 10-12 minutes until it becomes silky. Put it back in the bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Leave in a warm place until the dough has nearly doubled in bulk. This should take about 3 hours.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheets, about 2cm apart. Allow the buns to rise on trays for about 30 – 45 minutes, while you prepare the crosses.
- When the buns have risen, brush them with a little rice milk. Put the 70g of flour for the crosses into a small bowl and add about 1 tablespoon of water to make a paste. Use a piping bag with a small round nozzle (or make one out of paper), to pipe the paste in crosses over each bun. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the buns are baking, make the ‘bun wash’ by heating the water and agave nectar in a small pan.
- As soon as the buns come out of the oven, brush them with the bun wash. Serve warm or toasted, with your favourite spreads.