Butt Chicken with Cajun Spices
Serves: 6 Preparation: 20 min Cooking: 1.5 hours
- Wheat free
- Gluten free
- Low glycemic load
This is chicken. With a can of beer up its butt. We're not kidding.
|1||1.5 kg chicken|
|400ml||can of gluten free beer|
|2||sprigs fresh thyme|
|3||cloves of garlic, lightly crushed|
|1/2||a red jalapeno chilli|
|2tbsp||light olive oil|
|1tbsp||Kay's Cajun Magic (below)|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper |
|Kay's Cajun Magic|
|2 tbsp||ground paprika|
|1/2tbsp||ground black pepper|
|1tsp||dried roasted chilli flakes|
HOW TO DO IT
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Season the chicken cavity with salt and pepper. Open the beer can and take a sip. Then shove the bay leaves, thyme, spring onion, garlic, jalapeno into the can. Stand it in a roasting tray, then push the chicken down on to the can. You should be able to fit most of it into the chicken and use the legs to help it balance.
- Mix together the olive oil, Kay’s Cajun Magic (method below) and cumin. Brush it all over the chicken. Roast in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting two or three times with the olive oil mixture. The steam from the beer will cook the chicken faster than a usual roast. Be very careful not to spill the hot beer on yourself when you take it in and out of the oven.
- When cooked, remove the chicken from the can and set aside. Tip the contents of the can into the roasting tray and cook over a high heat until the beer has reduced by two-thirds, then stir in the butter. Joint the chicken into 6-8 pieces and serve with a good splash of gravy.
HOW TO MAKE KAY’s CAJUN MAGIC
- Spoon all the ingredients into a clean jam jar. Put the lid on, and shake well to combine everything thoroughly. Whizz into a powder in a mini chopper.
- Store with your other spices until you need it.