Why did Emer make this dish?
I made this dish because I wanted to try something different and I love smoked salmon. This dish is for 4 people so it feeds my family perfectly.
How to make Smoked Salmon Carbonara
1. Grate the parmesan. Be careful that the grater doesn't slip, Mummy grated her knuckle once and she said it was really sore.
2. Peel the garlic. TIP. Crush it a little with the side of a knife first, as this makes it easier to peel.
3. Chop the hard bits off the top and bottom of the garlic cloves. I don't like peeling garlic but you have to do jobs you don't like to be a cook.
4. Grate the garlic very slowly with a firm grip. You need to really watch your fingers here.
5. Heat a pan carefully on the hob using a low heat, and making sure the handle is turned away so you don't knock it over.
6. Add a tiny bit of olive oil to the pan to stop the butter burning. Then add the butter making sure you don't burn yourself. When it's melted, add the garlic using a spatula.
7. Stir around and count to 50. Then turn off the heat.
8. Crack 2 eggs into a bowl. TIP Doing it quickly helps because it stops any shell getting in.
9. Beat the egg with a fork or whisk in a swirly motion until it's all pale yellow.
10. Then add the garlic, half of the parmesan and the cream. Continue to beat gently for a minute.
11. Now, get the salmon and cut it into pieces the size of a 2 pound coin. Cut the slices separately not all together. TIP Be careful with your knife, and make sure it's not wet or slippy.
12. Put the salmon pieces into the mixture and stir for a few seconds.
13. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack. This will involve boiling water, so please have adult supervision and get help if you need to.
14. 2 minutes before the pasta is completely cooked, add the peas to the pot.
15. After 2 minutes have passed, drain the pasta and peas. Be careful as the water will be hot, there will be lots of steam and the pot will be heavy. Have an adult with you or helping for this part.
16. Pour the pasta and peas back into the pot. Add the mixture to the pot and mix it well. The heat from the pasta cooks the egg and melts the cheese. So, you need to do this quite quickly (but don't rush too much).
17. Pour in the remaining grated cheese and mix.
18. You are ready to serve! Hope you enjoy it.